Top places to paddle board and kayak near San Antonio + Guided tour reviews
Looking for a place to kayak, paddle board or spend a day on the water? I’ve got you covered with all the info you need about the best places I’ve personally been to and recommend.
Don’t forget I rent inflatable paddleboards by the day for just $40/day, or $60/3-days! Plus check out my YouTube Channel with video of my favorite local places and paddle gear recommendations
How I Review:
(1) The quality of the water – is it clean and calm?
(2) The waterfront – is it enjoyable?
(3) The parking & access – can you get to the water easy?
(4) The day use area – are there good amenities?
Where I review:
North of San Antonio up I-10 (Boerne, Kerrville area)
Northwest around Media Lake
North up 281 and I-35 (Canyon Lake, New Braunfels area)
East of San Antonio on I-10 (Towards Houston (Seguin area)
Inside the 1604 loop (Downtown, San Antonio River area)
Places to paddle North of San Antonio up I-10
Boerne, TX – Boerne City Lake Park
Read our detailed review of this solid all-around place to paddle, fish and play north of San Antonio.
Kerrville, TX – Louise Hays Park
Read our detailed review of one of my favorite places in Texas
Kerrville, TX – Flat Rock Park
Detailed review coming soon!
Places to paddle at Medina Lake or nearby
Medina Lake Park
A large private river park with lots of amenities and camping
Joe’s Place Marina and Resort
Private Park and lake paddling
(Mainly a boat launch – review coming soon!)
Bandera, TX – Bandera City Park
Charming city park with plenty of river for swimming and short paddling.
Places to paddle North of San Antonio up 281 or I-35
Canyon Lake – Turkey Cove / Boat ramp 2
kayak & boat launch protected from the wind with plenty of parking.
Canyon Lake – Canyon Lake Forrest / Boat ramp 5
All the Ramps at Canyon Lake
Nichol’s Landing Paddling Trail
(photos coming soon)
Guadalupe River State Park
(photos coming soon)
Places to paddle East of San Antonio Towards Houston
Seguin, TX – Seguin Paddle Trail at Starkey Park
Read our detailed review
by guest writer Rusty – Local SUP & Long board legend – Another great park and multi-mile river trail.
Places to paddle inside the San Antonio 1604 Loop
San Antonio River, SATX – Padre Park, south of downtown
Read our detailed review!
Short river trail and park just south of the Alamo by Mission San Jose
Live Oak – The lake at Live Oak Park & Disk Golf course
(photos coming soon)
Places to paddle on the San Antonio River near downtown
- King William Paddling Zone: from Nueva south to the blue buoys above S. Alamo. Access from Guenther St. (.8 miles)
- Mission Reach Paddling Zone (area 1) from below the chute at VFW to the canoe chute adjacent to Padre Park. Access from VFW below the chute, or from Padre Park. (.7 miles)
- Mission Reach Paddling Zone (area 2) from the bridge below the canoe chute adjacent to Padre Park to the blue buoys above Espada Dam. Access from Espada or Acequia Park. (~1 mile)
Full Map from San Antonio River Authority (SARA) with every access point: https://www.sara-tx.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SARIP-Full-Map-2017-web11.pdf
NOTE: There are city rules to follow: (http://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndRec/Programs-Classes-Fun/Fun-On-Your-Own/Paddling)
Parks in San Antonio with paddling lakes
- Elmendorf Lake Park, 3700 W. Commerce. Launch & Recovery Area: dock
- Miller’s Pond Park, 6175 Old Pearsall Park. Launch and Recovery Area: dock
- South Side Lions Park, 3900 Pecan Valley Drive. Launch and Recovery Area: Near pavilion #2 (Facing the pavilion, 30 to 40 yards to the east)
- Woodlawn Lake Park, 1103 Cincinnati: Launch and Recovery Area: dock
- Medina River Natural Area, 15890 Highway 16 South: Launch & Recovery Area: Approximately 1/2 mile from the parking lot. Boundary: State Highway 16 to Old Applewhite Road
Places South of Downtown
Braunig Lake Park
Salas Family Park (fee to enter)
Medina River Natural Area
Want to submit a review?
Give me a holler on Facebook, Instagram, or shoot us an email at TexasPaddleBoard@gmail.com
Reviews of Places with Guided Kayak Tours:
1. Crystal Kayaks and Glow Tours at PaddleSMTX! in San Marcos, TX
A short 10-second teaser video